Where to take Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP) Yoga in your city
Stand-Up Paddleboard Yoga is all the rage. Throughout the summer, you can't scroll down your Instagram feed without seeing local yogis getting their morning flow in on the local river.
If you're thinking about adding SUP Yoga to your summer workout to-do list, check out our guide to find SUP Yoga in your city.
What is Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP) Yoga?
SUP is a 60-90-minute (usually vinyasa) yoga practice that is led by a certified instructor on a paddleboard...on a large body of water. This meditative practice will help you increase balance and strengthen your core.
If you're thinking about signing, here's a few things you should know:
- You'll need a board, leash, a paddle and anchor to get out on the water. These are usually provided by the SUP company.
- You'll paddle to-and-from your class (Your instructor will tell you where to anchor)
- If you're uncomfortable on a paddleboard, consider taking an intro class or renting a paddleboard to make sure you can control your body in the water.
- Classes typically range from $30-$60/session.
Where to practice SUP Yoga in your city:
- FloYo SUP: The signature FloYo® class consists of vinyasa yoga sequences where SUP sun salutations will flow into lengthening and strengthening poses, balance postures, breathing techniques and more. Click here for more info.
- Sunrise Sup: Bring your fitness training to the water and expand your Yoga practice in the serenity of a quiet outdoor setting. Click here for more info.
- Cape Ann SUP: Located on Boston's north shore, Cape Ann SUP offers yoga classes on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. Click here for more info.
- SUP Yo: SUP YO was founded by Registered Yoga Teacher, Jana Olenio. Jana leads SUP Yoga classes on the water throughout the Boston area and the New Hampshire seacoast. Click here for more info.
- ChicagoSUP: Experience yoga on the water this summer and ride the waves of self discovery. Take a break, enjoy nature, relax, and add a playful thrill to your yoga practice. Click here for more info.
- Chicago Paddling Company: Offers classes that combine the fastest growing sport in the world, Stand Up Paddling, with a variety of group fitness classes that will strengthen, tone and inspire you to get on the water. Click here for more info.
New York City
- Manhattan Kayak Company: Advance your yoga practice using water. The subtle interaction between your body, board and water is a supreme way to alter your usual practice. Click here for more info.
- New York Kayak Company: Yoga on a stand up paddleboard (SUP) is the hottest mind/body fitness trend. Amplify the already amazing benefits of yoga by using your core muscles to balance on your SUP. Click here for more info.
- Aqua Vida SUP: Head down to Spruce Street Harbor Park and join Aqua Vida SUP for a floating yoga class. Click here for more info.
- Boating in DC/Ebb+Flow Yoga: Designed for experienced SUP’ers who are newer to yoga, classes have a strong emphasis on alignment and how to safely move between poses. Click here for more info.
- Potomac Paddlesports: In these 2 hour classes, you will get a brief introduction to SUP, with the majority of the class spent practicing yoga. Asana poses are introduced gently with modifications tailored to the student's experience level and comfort zone. Click here for more info.