City Fit Girls' Guide To FitRetreat 2017
By Takia McClendon
Can you believe FitRetreat weekend is finally here?! If you're anything like us, you're pumped about this weekend's workouts, talks and workshops. Whether you're looking to learn about mobility, grow your own brand, or try your first yoga class, there's something for you to do at FitRetreat! Below, you'll find tips to help you make the most of your day.
As a reminder, FitRetreat 2017 is completely sold out! This guide was written for women with tickets to our 5th annual event!
The Tips: Baby, this is what you came for... (read in Rihanna's singing voice, obviously)
1. Come to the FitRetreat Pre-Party! General admission & VIP attendees, join us at Philadelphia Runner at 6PM (Friday night) for a pre-registration party (VIP attendees will head over after their workout). Enjoy dinner by sweetgreen, wine, beer, massages available from PhilaMassage (first come, first serve) and deals on your last minute shopping. You'll also be able to get your tank and check-in before everyone else. Philadelphia Runner is located at 3621 Walnut Street. See you there!
2. Plan Ahead: In order to make the most of your FitRetreat experience, review the schedule online before you get to the event and pick your TOP TWO sessions to attend for each hour. Although there aren't many advanced sign-ups, some classes will fill up quicker than others. No big deal. Every session is going to be great so make sure you have a plan and a back up plan so that you can have a stress-free day.
(You'll only need to sign up for the Nike Lab workshop and the Free House Fitness Abs & Butt Workout in advance. Remember, sign-ups are first come, first serve so it's a good thing you'll have that back up plan).
3. Wear your FitRetreat tank to FitRetreat! It's encouraged. In addition to wearing your tank, you'll want to wear moisture wicking workout gear and athletic shoes. Remember, our friends at Nike will be doing shoe demos all day so you can have a different pair of shoes on in every Instagram pic (because you're fancy like that).
4. Yes, there will be breakfast but you should still eat something before you come. If you plan to workout three times before noon, you're going to burn a lot of calories. Without enough nutrients, your body will shut down -- you'll feel dizzy, get a headache, and maybe even vomit! If you plan to enjoy some boozy cocktails with brunch, you'll definitely want to make sure you have enough nutrients so please be smart!
P.S. The line for brunch may get long but we promise it will move quickly! Don't get all hangry on us. Remember, positive vibes only.
5. Speaking of positive vibes, come to FitRetreat with a positive attitude. This event is all about inspiring, uplifting, encouraging and motivating each other to be our personal best. Meet someone new, try a new workout, and encourage someone you don't know. You'll be surprised how welcoming this community is when you open up.
6. Know your limits. But don't be afraid to push beyond them. FitRetreat is about challenging yourself to try/learn new things. With that said, if you find something to be too challenging, skip it. Your well-being is our top priority. Trust us, it's a judgement free zone. Whatever the case, be sure to encourage and motivate the women around you. You never know if your cheer can help someone get to the next level.
7. Meet new people. Seriously, we can't stress this enough. Even if you come with a group of friends, it's important to branch out and meet other women in our community. Meet your next workout buddy, business partner, or book club member by breaking out of your comfort zone.
Last but not least...
8. We mentioned this before, but be open to try new classes and workshops. Don't forget to look over the schedule and pick your favorite two sessions for each hour (because no one complains about options). If you always take barre classes, try yoga. If you want to build strength, try one of the bootcamps. If self-care is a priority, go to the wellness workshops. If you want to spend the morning soaking up some sun, take all the outdoor sessions in the courtyard. Whatever you decide to do, you're going to have a blast!
P.S. Don't forget to bring your own mat!
If you have any questions during the event, find one of the event volunteers and we'll be more than happy to help you!
FitRetreat is taking place at Independence Live! located at 1919 Market Street. Registration opens at 8:15 on Saturday morning. Tickets for this event are completely sold out. FitRetreat tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable.