If You're Doing #CFGStreak, Read This Post!
By Takia McClendon
February 1st has come and gone and City Fit Girls Streak is officially underway. If you're reading this, I'm going to assume that you're participating in #CFGStreak or you're thinking about joining in. If you're a part of the latter group, please jump in! It's never too late to commit to daily physical activity and get a little support from the City Fit Girls community along the way.
For those of you who have already committed to the streak, I want to share three quick tips that will help you get through the month.
The Back Story: When Kiera and I started City Fit Girls Streak, we didn't just want to create another fitness challenge. We wanted to create a call to action to help more women find time and motivation to be fit. We wanted to create something that women who don’t have a lot of free time or a gym membership could still participate in.
We decided to challenge our community to either workout for 30 minutes (walking, cycling, yoga, dancing, etc.) or run at least 1-mile every single day of the month. After hosting and participating in multiple City Fit Girls Streaks, we've definitely learned a lot along the way.
To help you avoid some of the mistakes I've made, I'm sharing three tips to help you make it through the February 2018 #CFGStreak. Check out the tips below:
1. You're going to think about quitting. And to be honest, that's normal. Coming from someone who works long hours, has a long commute, and hates waking up early, the idea of making time to workout everyday is overwhelming. Sound familiar?
If you haven’t done so already, now is a good time to write down why you’re streaking. Then, if you think about quitting the streak, remember why you started. If you need a little help, read my post: "How To Stay Motivated and On Track" to set your intentions. If you're a newsletter subscriber, you also have FREE access to our printable Goal Setting Guide. Both of these tools are great resources to keep you on track throughout the month.
Takeaway: No matter how tough it is or how busy you get - say it with me - don't quit.
2. Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes life DOES get in the way. If you miss a day of the City Fit Girls Streak, don't be too hard on yourself. Think about why you missed a day and figure out a way to avoid it from happening again. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up for missing a workout. Pick up where you left off and remember that City Fit Girls is a judgement-free community. One or two missed days doesn't mean you have to quit.
Takeaway: Be kind to yourself (and others) throughout the month. This is a FUN challenge.
3. Support other women along the way. This is one point that I can't stress enough. We're all more likely to reach our goals when we have others supporting and encouraging us along the way. Be sure to post your workout photos on our Facebook page and/or on Instagram using the hashtag #cfgstreak. By committing just two minutes a day to comment on #cfgstreak posts, you may help someone find the motivation they need to stick with the challenge.
Takeaway: Make time ( just a few minutes daily) to encourage other City Fit Girls on social media.
Bonus: The City Fit Girls newsletter will be your new best friend. Every Monday morning, Kiera and I send out a newsletter complete with workouts, recipes and other resources to get you through the week. You don't have to search the internet for workouts because we do it for you. If you run out of workouts or find yourself bored at the gym, refer to the newsletter for instant inspiration.
That's it! I know that you're going to crush the #cfgstreak. I'll be posting from my personal Instagram account @takiamcclendon and on the City Fit Girls Facebook page throughout the month so please feel free to follow along (and encourage me along the way 😅).
Your Guide To City Fit Girls Streak
Ground rules: Commit to running 1 mile OR participating in at least 30 minutes of physical activity everyday. Post EVERYDAY using the hashtag #cfgstreak on Twitter, Instagram AND/OR post on the photo prompt on our Facebook page.
Engage: Use the hashtag #cfgstreak on your social media posts so that other City Fit Girls can "like" and comment on your pictures.
What counts as physical activity? Commit to doing at least 30 minutes of physical activity OR run at least 1 mile everyday. Sample workouts include the following:
- A 30 minute bike ride (leisure or commuting)
- A fitness class (Spin, CrossFit, Barre, Pilates, etc.)
- A 30 minute walk through the park or on the treadmill
- A 30-minute walk from work
- A yoga class or practice at home using Youtube videos or cell phone apps
- A 30-minute swim session
- A 3-mile run on the road or 30 minute tempo workout on the track
- Bodyweight exercises at home while watching your favorite TV show
Is there a workout that we missed? Do it and let us know when you're done! Don't forget to share using the hashtag #cfgstreak.
What if I miss a day? Don't sweat it. Feel free to jump back in when you're ready.
Can I start the challenge at anytime? If you missed the beginning of the streak, you can jump in at any time during the month.
Is working out everyday bad for me? Yes, if you go overboard. Be sure to add low-impact workouts and yoga into your fitness regimen so that your body has enough time to recover in between tough workouts.
I'm suffering from an injury, can I still join? You probably shouldn't but consult with your doctor to be sure.
I hate social media, how will I share? Selfie or it didn't happen. Just kidding, but this is a social media based challenge so sharing is caring. Be sure to always tag @cityfitgirls #cfgstreak.